1731-"New Patent" or "Ridgebury" land acquired from the Native Americans.
1737-Ridgefield Town Meeting allows Ridgebury to build on a tract of land laid out for a meeting house (the town had to vote on permission to open another worship venue).
1738- Ridgebury begins meeting in the "New Patent Meeting House" (south of the present building).
1743- Ridgebury Cemetary established.
1760- Ridgebury Ecclesiastical Society established.
1762- John Whitlock donates land for a "house of public worship of God" to the "DisCenting Society in Ridgebury".
1764- Congregation voted themselves "Congregationals".
1768-9- New church building constructed, 46' x 36', with no walls, plaster or pews for 24 years.
1777- The British, returning to the coast after their raid on Danbury, fire upon the parsonage.
1781- Rochambeau, with 6,000 troops, encamps at the Ridgebury meetinghouse corner.
1790- Phillis, a black servant, was baptized and admitted as a member of the church.
1792-1834- Repairs to the church were made, walls were plastered, pews were handmade.
1839- Ridgebury Congregationalists help save and care for the 53 Mendi of West Africa from being sold into slavery. They had been captives on the ship Amistad.
1844- A new parsonage is erected.
1851- Present church is erected on the site of the 1738 building. There is no increase in the foundation size. The building is in the Greek Revival architectural style.
1922- Church is closed and deserted for a year.
1923- Hugh Shields (pastor of First Congregational Church in the center of town) and a few Ridgebury residents reopen Ridgebury Congregational Church.
1972-4- Members of the congregation, an architect, and professional contractors convert classrooms into the parsonage and add a second floor to Shields Hall.
1984- Ridgebury is accepted for listing in the National Register for Historic Places, being deemed "a religious property deriving primary significance from architectural, artistic distinction, [and] historical importance."
1994- The 2 ton bell is replaced.
1998- A new offices for the pastor and the church are added to Shields as well as a new restroom.
2006- The State of Connecticut recognizes Ridgebury Congregational Church as a major historical site on Rochambeau’s 1781 march from Rhode Island to Yorktown VA. A plaque is presented to the church.
2017- The congregation of Ridgebury votes to become an "Open and Affirming" congregation.